UC Santa Barbara’s Technology Management Program invites you to join us at our 2014 New Venture Competition Finals on Thursday, May 22nd, 2013 from 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM in Corwin Pavilion at the UC Santa Barbara campus.Come celebrate and support new venture creation while listening to some of UC Santa Barbara's most outstanding young entrepreneurs present their ideas and innovations, and meet others in our community who share a passion for business and technology.
Your Opinion Counts!
All attendees will have the opportunity to play an active role in deciding who receives the People's Choice Award, worth $5k. Be sure to bring your cell phone to the event. We will collect votes by text message.
The finals will begin promptly at 3:00 PM.
Please plan to arrive on campus by 2:30 PM to allow time to park in lot 22 and walk to Corwin Pavilion. You will need to purchase a parking permit from the dispenser kiosk located in the parking structure. Short term daily parking rates are $8. Dispenser kiosks accept credit cards or $1 and $5 bills and do not give change.After the presentations the evening will culminate with an awards ceremony and reception.
About the Teams
This year over 150 competitors on more than 50 teams entered the competition. Beginning in October 2013 these teams have honed ideas by working with local entrepreneurs, business executives, and mentors on market analysis, finance, intellectual property, operations, communication, industry analysis and much more. Of these 50 teams six have advanced to the finals, and they all will be competing for the title of 2014 Winner of UC Santa Barbara's New Venture Competition. The six final teams have been divided into two tracks for this year's competition, Tech Push & Market Pull.
Tech Push (commercializing a new technology or scientific breakthrough):
- Cayuga Biotech- a universal hemostat able to generate clots in all bleeding cases.
- Fluency Lighting Technologies- a new approach to general illumination using and alternative light source to generate white light-a laser diode.
- ShadowMaps- a cloud-based service software that supplements GPS in urban environments, resulting in a 10x reduction of GPS error to 10 feet.
Market Pull (new ideas that can address an existing customer need:):
- Bottle Branders-a product that helps small breweries distribute their beer with better advertising and improved quality.
- Echo-a smartphone and web application that allows customers to order and pay within a restaurant over Bluetooth.
- Salty Girl Seafood-a sustainable seafood company that sources seafood products directly from fishermen and ships them direct to chefs.