The Technology Management Program at UC Santa Barbara is dedicated to the development of business and innovation in an increasingly technology-based global economy. TMP offers a Ph.D. in Technology Management, a professional Master of Technology Management degree, as well as UC-recognized certificates to current undergraduate and graduate students.
Our doctoral students study and conduct research with leading scholars in organizational theory, organizational behavior, technology studies and strategy. Our aim is to train doctoral students who will publish cutting edge research and eventually assume jobs at top research universities.
The curriculum for our professional master's students is designed to train future technology and business leaders, with a focus on providing students with the knowledge and experience to perform effectively in, and provide leadership to, global technology teams.
Within the certificate programs, TMP offers driven, innovative, and entrepreneurial students an in-depth understanding of business principles and professional skills vital to their success after graduation. They receive a cutting-edge curriculum of theory, practice, and mentorship that is at the intersection of technology, business, and social science.
In addition to receiving a unique business education, students can participate in a number of co-curricular programs and activities in entrepreneurship that go beyond the classroom. Students gain a solid understanding of cutting-edge business practices, entrepreneurship in technology-based companies, and innovation management.
TMP has far-reaching impact. We offer:
- A UNIQUE PERSPECTIVE – With its focus on technology commercialization and teamwork, TMP stands apart from other university business programs.
- A VITAL STUDENT RESOURCE – TMP helps students develop professionally and enhances their employment prospects.
- A REGIONAL ASSET – TMP is poised to become the center of professional business education on California’s Central Coast.
- A SOURCE OF TALENTED INNOVATORS – Graduates of TMP are highly qualified and much sought-after by employers.
- ADVANCING MANAGEMENT PRACTICE – Scholars and industry professionals working together to better understand the science and management of technology innovations and new venture creation.
- TURNING IDEAS INTO VIABLE BUSINESSES – In ways both large and small, TMP helps turn scientific discoveries and advances into successful enterprises that drive economic growth and improve our country.
The UC Santa Barbara College of Engineering introduced a campus-wide business plan competition, providing participating students with limited instruction and mentoring.
The College launched the Technology Management Program as a formal education program, and formalized its Technology Management Certificate for undergraduates.
TMP reenergized and restructured the Graduate Program in Management Practice (GPMP), a UC-approved certificate program emphasizing innovation management.
TMP and the Donald Bren School for Environmental Science and Management launched the Eco-Entrepreneur Program for Bren School graduate students.
TMP announced the approval of UC Santa Barbara’s first professional master’s degree program—a Master of Technology Management (MTM).
The new MTM program is launched, integrating engineering research with the study of innovation, technology commercialization and organizational management.
TMP announced the approval of UC Santa Barbara's new doctorate degree program - a Ph.D. in Technology Management. TMP admitted its first cohort of students in 2017.